How to be Mindful
Simply put mindfulness is focus and acceptance.
Focus your attention on your thoughts feelings and surroundings. Be aware and observe yourself as you truly are without judgement, acceptance.
This practice helps you get a better understanding of your thoughts, feelings and desires. It also helps you to be more centered in the NOW.
The NOW is all you have-the past is gone and the future is just an illusion all that exists is this present moment, the NOW.
How to be more mindful NOW!
Pay attention to your breathing
Take time out throughout your day to just focus on your breathing.
- Close your eyes
- Take a deep breathe in-only focusing on the breathe and its sensations
- Hold it for a few seconds, once only again paying attention to your breathe and bodily sensations.
- Repeat for as long or as short as you desire
Focus on one task at a time
When we multi-task we split our attention and focus several different ways.
Splitting our focus and attention is not only bad for mindfulness it is bad for productivity.
- Take ten minutes and write everything you need to get accomplished that day. Focus only on this one task and do this the evening before or early in the morning.
- Now revise the list down to the top 3 things you HAVE to get done that day. These should be the three things that when completed will have the most impact on your workday
- Write 1 2 3 beside the the items. With one being the most impact-ful and 3 the least.
- Do them in that order: 1 2 3 Give 1 your undivided attention. Focus on nothing else until your most important task for the day is complete.
Take a walk
Its important to take some time away from everyday tasks. The stress… The frustration… The burnout…
Unplug for a little while, go outside and start walking. Pay attention to the beauty and peacefulness that surrounds you.
If you find your mind wandering to the “stuff” you have to do once your walk is over, don’t worry about. Just accept it as it is and return your attention to the beauty that surrounds you.
Solvitur Ambulando: Latin for “It is solved by walking”
Take this advice and take some time out of your day, everyday, to go for a walk.
“Feelings, whether of compassion or irritation, should be welcomed, recognized, and treated on an absolutely equal basis; because both are ourselves. The tangerine I am eating is me. The mustard greens I am planting are me. I plant with all my heart and mind. I clean this teapot with the kind of attention I would have were I giving the baby Buddha or Jesus a bath. Nothing should be treated more carefully than anything else. In mindfulness, compassion, irritation, mustard green plant, and teapot are all sacred.”
― Hanh Nhat Thich,
Mindfulness: The art of placing your focus on your thoughts, feelings or surroundings and doing this with complete acceptance.
It allows you to start understanding your self on a deeper level and with continued practice and patience this self-awareness will grow stronger and stronger.
Three easy ways to be more mindful today are:
- pay attention to your breathing
- focus on one thing at a time
- take a walk
Pick one, do it right now!
Pick one way to be more mindful and start to truly know who you are!